Wednesday 9 September 2015

The Importance of English for Me

English language may not be the most commonly spoken language on a global scale but it is unquestionably the official language in a large number of countries. There is much to be learnt such as applying the proper grammar rules and vocabulary to pronouncing of words accurately so as to communicate effectively.

Many people in Singapore are lablled as "singlish" speaking despite English being our mother language. I personally feel that being well equipped to speak eloquently would definitely leave a good impression and boost one's confidence when conversing with others. Furthermore, books, online materials, top films and even sought after newspapers are published and produced in English. Thus, for me to be able to tap on these wealth of knowledge and entertainment, the development of my English language proficiencies both in speaking and in writing are of irrefutable importance.


As a university student, English assumes an important role in coming to my aid in daily transactions at school where it has been a medium of instructions. I have grown to heavily rely on it to convey my ideas across and as masterfully as possible use it to establish my viewpoints in classroom discussions without using filler words or broken English that may embarrass myself. A language that seemed to be nothing more than just mere papers of practice over and over during my secondary school days has become one of my principal asset in life. For that I am thankful for its roots. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Johan,

    I have enjoyed reading your reflection and yes, I definitely agree with you that English inevitably plays an important role in our daily lives. I should probably start learning from you and work on minimizing my usage of broken English and filler words in order to communicate better in proper English. Nevertheless, I am glad that you have achieved and learnt to communicate in fluent English with confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Johan, for this detailed discussion of the connection between you and the English language. I can see from this post that you are quite enthusiastic about using English, which should help you as you go forward in your studies and eventually your career.

    Since one objective in this post is for me to get a sense of your writing level, please take note of a couple sentences and phrases here:

    1) Thus, for me to be able to tap on these wealth of knowledge and entertainment, the development of my English language proficiencies both in speaking and in writing are of irrefutable importance. >>> (problem in distinguishing between singular and plural)

    2) in coming to my aid in daily transactions >>> (word choice) ?

    3) where it has been a medium of instructions. >>> (verb tense)

    As a university student, English assumes an important role during my daily transactions at school where it is the medium of instruction.

    4) For that I am thankful for its roots. >>> What do the" roots" of the language have to do with you? Am I misunderstanding?

    I look forward to working with you this term

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt English is the official language in a large number of countries, however, not many of us are able to express our thoughts in fluent English. It is indeed a complex language, coupled with its wide variety of vocabulary and grammar rules.

    I find your post to be very relatable. As Singapore is a multi-racial nation; we tend to use a mixture of various languages, in the attempt to accurately convey our thoughts. Some termed it as “Singlish”, Singapore’s version of English.

    Yes, being able to express our thoughts eloquently is a skill and it would certainly take time to nurture such a skill. Having said that, as future engineers, presentation and reports are inevitable. Therefore, it is inevitable to educate ourselves before we embark on our career.

    Your post was clear and well-expressed, depicting the importance of English in bringing across our thoughts. It seems to me that you have invested hours and hours of effort in honing English language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Johan!

    I enjoyed reading your post and I like how you have phrased your sentences in the post. I agree that online articles, books and even our lecture notes, are mainly produced in English and in order to learn from such materials, certain proficiency of English should be achieved. Thank you for the good read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Training is energy of a man from which he can challenge the other individuals so the informed man is the developer of our general public we should value it and furthermore respect him we ought to likewise bolster other individuals who needs to get instruction.free online grammar checker

    ReplyDelete